Starring Ian Mune & Mark Mitchinson, PULLING UP STUMPS is a 10-minute comic drama that’s set in the Central Otago area—a place of hard farming, stalwart neighbours, and dry as dust humour.
The “saga of the stump” is inspired by true events. The two blokes are based on local Arrowtown characters. It’s an Otago short film full of pathos, understanding, and laughter. And one recalcitrant rooster!
- TITLE: Pulling Up Stumps
- LENGTH: 10-15 Minutes
- GENRE: Comic drama
- COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Aotearoa New Zealand
- CAST: Ian Mune; Mark Mitchinson
- WRITER/DIRECTOR: Elinor Teele
- CINEMATOGRAPHER: Alun Bollinger (AlBol)
- PRODUCERS: Phillida Perry; Emma Martini
- BIOS: View cast bios and team bios
- WEBSITE: pullingupstumps.com
- SOCIAL: Instagram
- TRAILER: Post-Production
- COPYRIGHT INFO: © Pulling Up Stumps 2023
- CONTACT: Emma Martini of FrameUpMedia
LOGLINE: Amidst the dust & shadows of a Central Otago woolshed, a grumpy old man is forced to endure the attentions of a mysterious stranger and the humorous tale of an immovable stump.
SYNOPSIS: On a dusty day in Central Otago, a man in his 80s enters a workshop. His mission? To fix his wife’s aging appliance.
His task is interrupted by the arrival of a chatty stranger and an irksome rooster. After several attempts to get rid of distractions, the old man is forced to listen to the tales of his visitor, including the saga of an obstinate stump.
Gradually, it becomes clear that the stranger may not be so strange. And the story may have more meaning than first meets the ear.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FILM’S INSPIRATION
AWARDS & PRESS
- FESTIVALS & AWARD COVERAGE: Post-Production
- PRESS COVERAGE: Mountain Scene (Nov. 10, 2022); WIFT NZ (Nov. 30, 2022); Mountain Scene (March 9, 2023)
- SPONSORS: AVIS Queenstown | Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel | Department of Post | Queenstown Camera Company